Our name has its origin from the very first meeting spot of our Group, a lovely little Flower Shop-Cafe in Paddington Bris-Vegas in the land of Oz. While the Cafe is no longer, we still gather to enjoy conversation and lively debate about the reading books on our list!

Which Ever One to Read......

Dec 7, 2012

Hi Bookclub friends,
I'm not sure if you watched Tuesday's Bookclub last week.  I wasn't able to but I logged onto iView because it focussed on the top 10 Aussie Books you should read before you die.  I've naughtily pasted the list below for your perusal.  The full list actually gives 50 books and these books are calculated according to votes.  I'm pleased to say we have read some of the top 10 in our Bookclub, but we as a collective have definitely read many from the top 50 list.

 Please visit the following website if you're interested in the list:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/firsttuesday/


The Top 50 Aussie Books as voted by you are:
  1. Cloudstreet - Tim Winton
  2. The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
  3. A Fortunate Life - A.B. Facey
  4. The Harp in the South - Ruth Park
  5. The Power of One - Bryce Courtenay
  6. Jasper Jones - Craig Silvey
  7. The Magic Pudding - Norman Lindsay
  8. The Slap - Christos Tsiolkas
  9. The Secret River - Kate Grenville
  10. Picnic at Hanging Rock - Joan Lindsay

Can I say, I am not a fan of Tim Winton.  I think you love him or you don't.  I absolutely loved 'The Secret River" which we read as a group, I hated "The Slap" and I love "The Book Thief" but we didn't read this as a Bookclub book.  "Jasper Jones" is a wonderful YA read and the psychologists and therapists amongst us would help me come to terms with many of the teenage issues, this is apart from the aboriginal outcast issues.  Of course most of us have read "The Power of One" and "The Magic Pudding".  We shouldn't assume though and maybe we can choose from the list for 2013.

Have a great holiday and thank you V for all you work with the blog. I wouldn't put my hand up for the job, so I appreciate all you've done.  I have a task ahead of me with reading "A Suitable Boy" but I'm looking forward to it.  I hope you all get to read your Christmas choice from our last meeting.

Hugs and blessings,
Cheryl


1 comment:

  1. Hi Sis I am so proud of your post! And the book recommendations are awesome!!!
    Merry Xmas everyone

    ReplyDelete